Mike Mahoney Signature 5/8" Gouge - The Shear Shaper
- Ships from Store Within 3 Business Days
- Calculated at Checkout
Designed for efficiently shear scrapping the exterior of a bowl.
What makes a 5-star shear shaper?
- 5/8” parabolic bowl gouge
- Shipped sharp with the grind found at Mahoney’s lathe (easily duplicated using a Wolverine jig)
- Polished flute for efficient chip-flow and a razor edge
- Superior M42 high speed steel ensures less grinding & cleaner cuts at the lathe
- 100% American manufacturing backed by a lifetime guarantee & hassle-free returns
- Blade measures 5/8” outside diameter x 13” overall
- Parabolic flute, ground at 40º
- 5/8” tang diameter
M42 makes the cut
It’s no wonder M42 high speed steel is favored across industries. A distinct cobalt additive bumps M42’s red hardness off the charts for impressive wear resistance. And M42’s unique structure produces a finer, sharper edge.
For you, M42 means less time grinding and cleaner cuts at the lathe. Carter & Son was founded because we realized many tools are machined from subpar steel, leaving us (and you!) making far too many trips to the grinder. M42 is the optimal steel for turning wood. It holds a long-lasting razor edge and is quickly sharpened on a conventional grinder.